How do I take care of a Fastpitch softball bat?
Fastpitch Bat Break-In Period
If you are buying an aluminum Fastpitch bat, there is no break-in necessary. Aluminum bats are as hot as they are going to get as soon as you take them out of the wrapper. With composite barrel bats, you will have to spend some time getting them ready to perform at their peak. Composite bats are going to need around 150 to 200 hits on them to start performing up to their potential - but many newer models offer better performance right out of the wrapper. When breaking in a composite bat, it is important to start off at about 50% power and gradually increase as your swing count rises. It is also important to rotate the bat about a ” on every swing. This ensures that your bat gets evenly broken in.
Temperatures For Fastpitch Bats
Regarding temperature and bats of different materials, many people believe that Composite Fastpitch Bats tend to be much more sensitive to temperature than Alloy Fastpitch Bats. Many manufacturers have suggestions on minimum temperatures for when to use their bats. However, as a rule of thumb, we recommend that you avoid (or attempt to limit) using your bat in temperatures below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. There isn't a maximum temperature that you should avoid using your bat in; however composite bats tend to have slightly increased pop in hotter weather.
Additional Fastpitch Bat Tips
- Limit the use of your game bat in the batting cage. Save the wear and tear for when it matters: in the game.
- Do not use dimpled balls to practice with. These balls can have damaging effects on your bat.
- Limit the number of teammates that use the same bat. Bats DO break. The fewer hits on the bat, the better chance you have at lasting durability.
- Do not use your bat to knock the dirt off of your cleats. This can damage the bat.
- If using a wood bat, swing with the label facing toward you. This is a common mistake and often will lead to a prematurely broken bat.
* Need help finding the perfect baseball bat or softball bat? Our knowledgeable Customer Coaches are available by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Live Chat, or our toll-free phone number: 1-866-321-BATS (2287)! *