When USA Baseball, the national governing body for the sport of baseball in the United States, adopted the USABat Standard, it created a lot of questions.
With the new youth baseball standard officially in place, there have been a few changes recently. Namely, JustBats.com answers whether BBCOR bats are allowed in USA Baseball and Little League divisions.
Here's an overview of the USA Baseball bat standard. To learn more visit our USABat Standard FAQ page.
First of all, does Little League allow Tee Ball bats? Yes. Here's what you need to know for Tee Ball bats in USA Baseball Leagues:
- Tee ball bats are not required to undergo lab testing to receive approval under the USABat Program. However, to be approved for play within the participating National Member organizations, tee ball bats must feature the USA Baseball mark and accompanying text that reads Only For Use With Approved Tee Balls (JustBats.com provides this with every tee ball bat order).
- Approved tee ball bats (26" and shorter) under USABat will feature the USA Baseball mark.
- USA Baseball created a sticker program that allows individuals to purchase stickers to mark personal tee ball bats that were purchased prior to the implementation of the USABat Standard.
Secondly, does Little League allow Wooden bats? Yes. Here's what you need to know for Wood baseball bats in USA Baseball Leagues:
- Solid, one-piece wood bats will be allowed with or without the USA Baseball mark.
- Multi-piece wood bats must have the USA Baseball mark in order to be allowed.
- These youth bamboo bats are not approved for USA Baseball Leagues.
Recently, Little League announced that bats meeting the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) standard are now allowed. However, BBCOR bats can only be used in the Intermediate (50-70) Division and Junior League divisions. At the Senior League Baseball Division, all bats must meet the BBCOR standard. So, yes, BBCOR bats are allowed in two divisions of Little League. Here's what you need to know for BBCOR bats in USA Baseball Leagues:
- BBCOR bats are only allowed in Little League's Senior League, Intermediate (50-70) and Junior League divisions.
- BBCOR bats must be so labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark (See the BBCOR mark here).
- Learn more about Little League's decision on BBCOR bats.
Still have questions about BBCOR bats in Little League baseball? Comment below. Or, if you have any specific questions about USA Baseball bats or BBCOR bats, please give our Bat Experts a call at 866-321-2287, shoot them an email at email@example.com, or click here to live chat. Don't forget, with our customer service, we'll be here for you from click to hit!