The most popular wood bat turning model at the Major League level is Louisville Slugger's C271.
The list of players who use or have used the C271 include Troy Tulowitzki, Trevor Story, Brandon Phillips, and Pedro Alvarez. The reason C271 wood baseball bats are so popular at the pro level is because the bat is easy to swing and balanced, but the way the bat is constructed allows it to be made out of the densest wood available. Because the wood is denser than most, it's also harder and, thus, more durable.
For 2018, Louisville Slugger has released seven (7) new C271 models, but the one garnering attention is the eye-catching MLB Prime America Maple Wood Baseball Bat (WTLWPM271A17).
Much like the MLB Prime C271 Miner and MLB Prime High Roller, Louisville Slugger has combined the MLB Prime series and the C271 turn model into one. Here are the features associated with both Louisville Slugger models.
C271 Series Features
The 271 turn has a slightly larger knob to accommodate the 1 1/4" flared handle. The top of the handle is around 15/16" in thickness then slowly goes into a long taper that keeps getting larger in diameter all the way to the end of the barrel. This translates into a 2 1/2" where you want it: the sweet spot of the bat.
- 271 is used by players looking to increase bat speed.
- 271 is used by players looking to hit for batting average.
MLB Prime Series Features
Quality. That's what the MLB Prime series has come to mean. From billet to bat, the lumber that Louisville Slugger selects for Prime bats is the highest quality level. The process of choosing the billets for the Prime bats is rigorous, but the final product guarantees a bat that has been cared for from the very beginning.
- MLB Prime bats are made exclusively with the MLB grade wood (met by only 3% of Louisville Slugger wood bats).
- MLB Prime bats utilize EXOARMOR premium hard coat that delivers a mult-layer top coat for double the surface hardness, as well as better feel.
For the ball player that loves America, this bat's colorway is just as patriotic as the Miken Freak Patriot Slow Pitch Softball Bat. Sparkling in red, white, and blue, this wood bat is the embodiment of what has made Louisville Slugger the most well-known and respected name in baseball for 130+ years. The colorway is also fitting since the America baseball bat is proudly handcrafted in the USA.
Even more, all MLB Prime bats, including the America model, feature the pro ink dot stamp to meet the slope-of-grain requirements for MLB approval.
This 2018 bat also includes the following features:
- Approximate -3 length to weight ratio.
- Bone rubbed to compress wood and make it more dense.
- EXOARMOR doubles surface hardness for superior power, better feel, and unbeatable sound.
- Natural red / white / blue finish.
- Most balanced swing weight.
- MLB maple wood provides unmatched durability.
- Pro cupped end ensures a harder piece of wood during construction.
- Standard handle offers better overall control.
- Top 3% of Louisville Slugger's wood is used for MLB Prime wood bats.
- Learn more about the 2018 MLB Prime America Wood Bat.
What do you think of the Louisville Slugger MLB Prime America model? Want to swing it?
Leave a comment below about the MLB Prime America or tell us which wood baseball bat you believe is better and why. If you have any baseball bat related questions, please reach out to our friendly Bat Experts at any time of the day at (866-321-2287). You may also shoot them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to live chat. Don't forget, we're here from click to hit!